33035 proved reluctant to come out of its winter hibernation a week ago when the engine unexpectedly shut down after half an hour’s running. We quickly found that the batteries were completely flat, and we suspected the charging circuit had failed resulting in the auxiliary machines draining the batteries.
Returning to Wirksworth this Friday, we came armed with a powerful 24V charger and pumped some amps back into the batteries. Meanwhile, the cells were topped up with distilled water and the terminals tightened. We also started working through a B-exam check sheet, finding one or two minor things to sort out.
Later in the afternoon, the engine was fired up again, but after about 10 minutes we noticed the battery charging circuit had cut out, confirming our suspicions. Checking through the resistors in the circuit, we found that a 300 ohm resistor in series with the battery charge relay was actually reading several mega-ohms. Wired out with crocodile clips, this eliminated the problem and the batteries were charging nicely again with the engine running.
Over the last few weeks, the paintwork on the driver’s door at No 2 end had started to blister. When this was scraped, large lumps of old filler dropped out and a vertical gash appeared in the fibre glass about 2cm deep! Another patch on the yellow front was also blistering, and was similarly chipped out to reveal another dint rusting away beneath many layers of paint and filler. These were filled over with fibre glass paste and filler, ready to be rubbed down and repainted next week.