With various summer distractions including a long weekend away for 33035 at the K&WVR Gala, progress with Sherwood has been steady, and is now picking up again. All twelve cylinder heads have been fitted and torque tightened down. The top water rails connecting the heads were bolted on, and blanking plates made up, so that the block could be filled with water and pressure tested. Normal running pressure is 20psi, so the system was tested up to 30psi just to make sure.
It is best to pressure test at this stage, before connecting up the rest of the pipework and exhausts. One head sprung a leak from a transition bush, so this was lifted off and found not to have seated correctly. After refitting, the system was tested again and proved to be water tight all round. The next stage will be fitting the rocker gear and setting the tappets.
Carl has returned to manufacture two new headcode boxes for No 2 end. The old ones can only be described as rust held together with paint, but they are serving as patterns and the internal mechanisms are being restored. One is ex 45053 and the other 45036, so bits of them live on!
Torque tightening cylinder head nuts - method 1 with two torque multipliers in tandem
Method No 2 with original "Sweeney" special Sulzer tool
Each pair of nuts are tightened one division at a time up to 5 divisions, or 105 degrees from paint mark on head
Air inlet manifolds stripped down and repainted
After 50 years of British weather, its time to retire the old headcode boxes
First stage in fabricating new box
This year’s B-exam on 33035 concluded with an oil and filter change. Two barrels of oil were ordered up, and a new set of filters delivered. The Class 33s do not have a sump drain, as this was removed long ago by the Southern, and so the old oil had to be pumped out from the engine crankcase. It was definitely time to change the oil, as there was an accumulation of sludge in the bottom of the sump, which had to be mopped out and cleaned with a couple of buckets of diesel. The filters were also filthy, but fortunately there were no signs of metallic bits that could indicate bearing problems. Continue reading
12 cylinder heads have waited patiently for 8 months since they were overhauled, but now their time has come. After much preparation of the top of the cylinder block, cleaning and repainting of various pipes, the heads are being reunited with the engine. Continue reading
Its been a while since our last report, but not because there has been no progress, but just more of the same – 12 liners and now 12 pistons fitted to Sherwood. Continue reading
A6 piston being lowered into the block with collar to compress piston rings
In between the distractions of the festive season, work has progressed further with Sherwood at Barrow Hill. After the hiccup with the liner seals was sorted, all 12 liners were fitted before Christmas. We found that it was important to make sure they were pressed in dead vertical into the block, using a spirit level to check they were not going in at an angle. Fingers were crossed while the cylinder block was filled with water, but no leaks appeared underneath much to our relief. Continue reading
With the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway taking a winter break from passenger services, its the time of year for various maintenance tasks. 33035 will be having a B exam and a number of minor repairs, particularly the ongoing quest to seal the interior from our wet climate. Continue reading
In the 8 weeks since its return to service, 33035 has been at work on the Ecclesbourne Railway for no less than 13 days, so far… 9 of these have been for Diesel Experience duties, usually on Wednesdays and Fridays, and there seem to be a steady stream of bookings through to next year. Continue reading
Adam and Reuben find damage to the seals after removing A1 liner
Why do restoration projects take so much longer than anyone expects? Well ask anyone involved and they may tell you that real progress is only made through a series of setbacks – nothing ever goes exactly to plan. Restoration work continues on Sherwood, and we thought we had turned the corner with the engine rebuild after fitting the third cylinder liner. Continue reading
Mike thanks Dave from Bowers, with Adam, Jacob and Carl at Ravenstor after the first test run up the incline (Stephen Miller)
After a five month interlude for generator repairs, 33035 burst back into life yesterday, starting first time as if it was just five minutes since its last run! The exhaust and inlet manifolds had been re-fitted, batteries charged and wiring checked over, and the engine turned over with decompression plugs removed to make sure nothing was loose. Continue reading
A 9 1/2 ton special delivery was signed for last Thursday, when the generator returned from Bowers. As you might guess, the refitting was the reverse of the removal, with the generator loaded first, followed by the turbocharger and the exhaust stack. Finally the roof was dropped back into place. It sounds simple but the whole process took 8 hours with the crane, mainly lining up the coupling between the generator and engine. There are 12 large fitted bolts and all the holes must line up perfectly, so this took a great deal of adjustment with the crane and persuasion with a selection of pinch bars. After four bolts were driven in, the supporting tie bars were removed, and the generator could be barred round to fit the rest. Continue reading